Thursday, June 17, 2010

40 years young

Today I am 40. I remember when my dad turned 40. Forty is my dad's age, not mine!

I've been preparing myself for a while: when I was 38 and people asked me my age I would reply by saying I'd be 40 next year. Was I wishing my life away, or was I simply accepting that middle-age was soon to be upon me?

Now that I am 40, I am inclined to agree with Arthur Schopenhauer (don't I always?) who observed that, "the first forty years of life give us the text: the next thirty supply the commentary." I just hope it's not provided by John Motson.

[Thanks to Byron for the pic.]

4 comments:

Indigo Zing said...

Happy Birthday! So you are the same age of the Landrover, Pacman and the Glastonbury festival. Well I suppose the real perks of being 40 is that you will enjoy hearing about other peoples operations and get into heated conversations about Pension plans.But seriously I don't think being 40 is middle-aged, it's not like 20 years ago...I think it's about painting the landscape that you have already created.When you get past 60, you then begin to apply the gloss!

Indigo Zing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
=^skeptic cat^= said...

Happy Birthday! Schopy lived in a different time. People aren't 40 the way they were in Schopy's day until they're like 60 now .... Or something.

lifes said...

Happy birthday.!! 40..still a pup yet.
Enjoy.

 
DreamHost discount