Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Butterfly of Freedom

If life begins at 40, I turned -3 last Sunday (happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...). Had a lovely weekend away. Really, really good... Anyway, I thought I would share with my friends (that's you) the card that I got from my parents.

It's called The Butterfly of Freedom, and it's a one of Edward Monkton's "interesting thoughts". In case the image doesn't load correctly, I'll explain the scene. Twelve simply drawn butterflies are depicted, of which 11 are within a drawn box. Our hero is the 12th butterfly who has broken free from the constraints the box and is flying away. The butterflies ask, "Why do you fly outside the box?" "I fly outside the box because I can." replies our hero. "But we KNOW the box. We are SAFE inside the box." "That, my friend, is why I leave it. For you may be SAFE... but I AM FREE!"

Now without wanting to get too serious (cue serious point), the question you have to ask yourself is... would you rather be safe or free? It seems to me that we often opt for security and in the process we give up our freedom. At least that's what it feels like.

I guess what I'm saying is: Fly outside the box... at least once in a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Sunday - Happy Birthday! Glad you had a good one. Which reminds me of my own impending birthday this Saturday! (Happy birthday to me...)

And a really nice card, I wish I could escape the box more often, I feel that I do constrict myself a bit too much with 'safe' activities.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely card - your parents are obviously trying to communicate something to you. Or perhaps you have done something that they want to condone?

 
DreamHost discount